What is Platelet-Rich Plasma?
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) is an autologous concentrated preparation of platelets and the associated growth factors in a small volume of plasma. PRP is a portion of the patient’s blood with the highest concentration of platelets. PRP injections have been used since the early 90’s in plastic and orthopedic surgery as well as in maxillo-facial surgery.
Platelets play an important role in soft tissue and wound healing. PRP therapy uses this rich platelet portion of your blood to promote healing of ligaments, tendons, joints, muscles, skin and more. This procedure has limited side effects because we use the patient’s own blood.
- Platelet Rich Plasma, known as “PRP” is an injection treatment whereby a person’s own blood is used.
- Blood contains red cells, white cells, platelets and plasma. Platelets are very small cells in your blood that are involved in the clotting process. PRP is obtained by separating the plasma and platelets.
- When these separated platelets are activated and reinjected into the area to be treated, they release a number of enzymes or growth factors which promote healing. This process also attracts stem cells in order to repair skin tissue. As a result, new collagen begins to develop.
- As the collagen matures it begins to shrink causing the tightening and strengthening of the skin tissue.
- When treating injured or sun and time damaged tissue PRP promotes remodeling of the tissue to a healthier and younger state.
What do Platelets do?
Platelets release growth factors which regulate the healing cascade by signaling to surrounding cells to repair damaged tissue and regenerate new tissue. Key growth factors involved in this process include but are not limited to:
- Platelet-Derived Growth Factor (PDGF)
- Transforming Growth Factor group (TGF)
- Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF)
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF)
- Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF)
- Keratinocyte Growth Factor (KGF)
PRP Treatments Available from Dr. S:
Skin Rejuvenation for Fine Lines, Wrinkles, Aging, Acne, Rosacea, Sun Exposure
- Face Lift
- Stretch Marks
- Non-Surgical Breast Lift and Décolleté Skin Rejuvenation
- PRP Hair Restoration for Males and Females
What are Prolotherapy and PRP?
Prolotherapy (Proliferation therapy) is a nonsurgical treatment, which stimulates targeted healing. It is known as nonsurgical ligament and tendon reconstruction or regenerative injection therapy. This treatment works by stimulating the body’s own healing mechanisms to repair injured musculoskeletal tissues.
Types of Prolotherapy include: Dextrose Prolotherapy, Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Prolotherapy and ozone prolotherapy. Each therapy may be used alone or in combination when appropriate.
PRP injection therapy is useful for:
- Ligament damage
- Sciatic nerve pain
- Herniated disc
- Sacroiliac problems
- Chronic pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Knees: Arthritis, Ligament Tears/Instability, Peripheral Meniscus Tears, Pes Anserine, Tendonosis
- Ankles/Feet: Arthritis, Instability, Chronic Sprains, Achilles Tendonosis, Plantar Fasciitis, Retrocalcaneal Bursitis, Morton’s Neuroma
- Wrists/Hands: Arthritis, Instability, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Trigger Finger
- Elbows: Arthritis, Instability, Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis), Golfer’s Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
- Shoulders: Arthritis, Recurrent Subluxations, Frozen Shoulder Syndrome, Impingement Syndrome, SLAP Injuries (Labral Tears)
- Hips/Pelvis: Arthritis, Instability, Chronic IT Band Syndrome
- SI Joints: Arthritis, Instability, Sacroiliitis
- Lumbar Spines: Arthritis, Instability, Disc Disease
- Thoracic Spines: Arthritis, Instability, Rib Dysfunction
- Cervical Spines: Arthritis, Instability, Disc Disease
- Erectile Dysfunction (ED) and Improved Erection
- Enhanced Appearance and Girth (including treatment of circumcision scars)
- Improved Sexual Stamina/Capabilities
- Improved Sensation and Pleasure
- Diminished Prostate Discomfort
- Treatment of Peyronie’s Disease
- Improved Desire and Arousal
- Treatment of Urinary Incontinence
- Younger, Smoother Labia
- Decreased Pain/Dyspareunia
- Stronger, More Frequent Orgasms
- Treatment of Incontinence, Interstitial Cystitis, Lichen Sclerosis